1. DO NOT leave pet unattended around an open flame. Put covers over stove knobs or remove when not using, use flameless candles.
2. Crate young dogs or put behind secure baby gates to keep them away from fire hazards when you are gone.
3. Affix a Pet Alert Window Cling (can find, free of charge, at local firehouses). Keep them updated.
4. Keep collars and leashes stored near the front door of the home. Keep pets in main room(s) for easy rescue.
5. Have a fire plan when you are home. Know which members of the family is responsible for each pet.