Essex Middle River Veterinary Center is able to perform international health certificates for travel. Appointments must be scheduled with Dr. Preston.
It is recommended that you contact us as soon as you know the details of your travel so we can begin assisting you with the process. Export requirements and time frames vary and are subject to change at any time. Considerations include meeting certain timelines/waiting periods, vaccinations, testing and/or titers, and administering medications/treatments.
1. Contact the airline for any needed requirements.
2. Contact your local USDA office or visit the USDA website to determine all export requirements for your destination country.
3. Contact the destination country's embassy (if needed).
4. Verify your pet's microchip registration.
5. Schedule all necessary appointments with EMRVC. Your pet may require more than one appointment to meet all requirements. Visits may take 60 minutes or more to allow time for paperwork.
6. Double check and bring all required documents to your pet's appointment.
7. Have paperwork authorized by official USDA veterinarian (if required) - either in person at Richmond office or overnight mailed to Albany office.
USDA APHIS Pet Travel website:
USDA veterinarian office:
Maryland residents are required to contact the Richmond, Va office for assistance.
USDA-APHIS-National Import Export Services
400 North 8th Street, Ste. 726
Richmond, VA 23219-4824