Valentine's Day Pet Safety Tips

posted: by: jm Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

Valentine's Day Do's and Don'ts


Do Keep Chocolate away from pets! 

Just about everyone loves chocolate, especially on Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, so do our dogs and would be more than happy to help you with your gift. Pet Poison Helpline says pets ingesting milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate baked goods are the top three most common exposures handled by them this time of year. Dogs ingesting chocolate can experience agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, tachycardia, tremors and/or seizures, depending on the amount of chocolate ingested and size of the dog. 

If your pet gets into chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately. Be prepared to tell them the type of chocolate and how much your pet consumed. 

DO Purchase safe gifts for your pet!

Why not buy them a new collar, a bag of pet friendly treats, a new bed or a toy. Anyone of these would make a great gift for Valentine's Day. You could consider giving toys, bedding, food or a momentary donation to a local shelter or rescue in your pet's name!!


Don't forget the less obvious Valentine's Day dangers!

Flowers are a very common gift for Valentine's Day. Pet owners should check all bouquets closely for lilies - these include Easter, Stargazer, Tiger, Asiatic and Oriental lilies. These are all types that can be deadly to cats and dogs. Exposure to lily pollen and water from a vase can result in kidney failure if your cat gets into them. They can also cause renal failure in dogs. 

Be careful with ribbons and bows that come on flowers, candy and balloons. If ingested, they can cause intestinal foreign bodies.

We know about the toxicity of chocolate with pets but, are you aware of the dangers of Macadamia nuts, coffee beans, grapes and raisins? Grapes and raisin ingestion can lead to kidney failure. 

Don't forget Xylitol in sugar-free candies, gums, chocolates and baked goods. While this is a natural sweetener and is not toxic to people, it's highly toxic to dogs, resulting in rapid onset of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and potentially, liver failure. 

Your pet can also be sensitive to alcohol so keep your drinks up and out of the way. Keep ibuprofen and other pain medications locked up safely in a medicine cabinet.

If your pet ingests ANYTHING on this list, call your veterinarian immediately. Be sure to have the package available of what your pet ingested. 

Do remember/don't forget (however you choose to remember this one) - your pet will appreciate the gift of time and love more than anything! We have all heard the saying "it's the little things," how true this is for your pet. Take your pet for an extra walk, cuddle or play with them a bit longer. This costs nothing but will be more appreciated than any other gift you and give your pet. Added bonus - exercise and cuddles are healthy so you are doing something good for yourself and your pet.

Please call us at 410-687-1111 if you have any questions.